The Mission of the Sunday School Department is for participants to Know the Lord Jesus Christ and to make Him known through Discipleship, Evangelism, Worship, Fellowship and Ministry. In summary, it is to carry out the Great Commission to children, youth, and adults in preparation for a lifetime of making Christ-like disciples in the nations.
The Sunday School provides Bible based, age and experience appropriate teachings that transform the moral insight and life of the student. Students are equipped to make positive contributions to their spiritual and social communities.
Our program seeks to focus on some important principles :-
- To teach the Word of God so that children, youth, and adults desire to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and are maturing in the Christian experience.
- To empower students of all ages to see how the scripture applies to their life situations and the world in which they live.
- To help Christians grow spiritually through evangelism , Christian Education and making of disciples.
- To encourage children, youth and adults enrolled in Sunday School, to faithfully participate in the life of the local Church , and to make a Godly difference in their families and other circles of influence.
- To intentionally develop relationships with unreached/unsaved people so that they become desirous of having a personal-saving relationship with Jesus Christ, and empower them to go and make Christ-like disciples.
As a ministry, the Sunday School has the platform to affect the effectiveness of the church in a so many ways. Because its focus is so far reaching, its potential has become a matter of prayerful consideration. Since 1994 Sunday School Emphasis has been observed. While Sunday School engages in Ministry at other times during the the year September has been established as Sunday School Emphasis Month.
Beginning the at the end of August and through September, the Sunday School organizes a variety of Church wide and outreach activities. These activities begin with the annual Back to School event which caters to students in the immediate environs of the Church. Other Emphasis Month activities include the Annual Advancement/Promotion Program, Psalms Alive, Memory Verse Competition , Family Conference and Scripture Verse Balloon Launch.
The Sunday School meets between 9:45 am – 10:50 am each Sunday, and caters to all ages. Students are peered in the following age groups:
Beginners – 6 years and under
Younger Children – 7-9 years
Older Children – 10-12 years
Youth– 13-18 years
Young Adults-19-30 years
Adults 30 years and older
Sunday School Leaders:
The Ministry is led by a team of dedicated teachers . Sis Josephine Parker serves as Superintendent while Bro. Dwayne Williams serves as Director.
Beginners: (6 yrs) Shaunda Strachan, Janet Debarros, Sharon Smith
Younger Children: (7-9 yrs) Ruth Turnquest, Dr. Janet Dorsett
Older Children (10-12 yrs) Kandies Smith
Youth 1 (13-15 yrs) Lois Hall, Daphne Williams
Youth 2 (16-18 yrs) Dr. Ismae Whyms, Anton Minnis
Young Adults (19-29 yrs) Herbert Coakley, Cypreanna Winters
Adults (30 yrs and older) Lorraine Moss, Josephine Parker, Sheila Strachan, Beth Stewart, Philip Dorsett and Dwayne Williams
Teachers are exposed to home and international workshop and training sessions.